Forum

A Satire to poke fun and a Lesson to Learn

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@zoanne-difonzo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I started with "How to Write About Africa" by Binyavanga Wainaina. And I am glad I did because it is a satirical guide on creating captivating narratives about Africa. Key points included using specific words in titles and subtitles, treating Africa as one country, adopting a sad tone, mentioning your love for Africa, and including a nightclub called Tropicana. And if that wasnt enough to give away the satirical nature the article emphasizes the importance of using precise descriptions and ending the book, lesson. etc with a quote from Nelson Mandela.

After I read the article "Beyond Wildlife: Teaching about Africa and Stereotypes" which emphasized the importance of using primary sources and authentic images when teaching about Africa. The authors provided recommendations and lesson plan examples to help educators bring African perspectives into the classroom, counter media stereotypes, and establish connections with students' lives. This article was in many ways different as it was serious but the same in that the goal is authenticity.

As educators we unintentionally,  mirror the satire in Wainaina's article when in reality we want to align ourselves closer to Brown and Carroll by: exposing students to everyday lives of Africans through books by African authors, email messages, and other primary sources to develop open-mindedness and appreciation for other cultures; Use diverse images to challenge media stereotypes and help students understand the variety of climates, landforms, and lifestyles in Africa and help students recognize and challenge stereotypes about Africa and its people, establishing connections between students' lives and the lives of Africans to motivate them to learn more about the continent and its diverse cultures. Which in turn also aligns with what we learned from The Knarrative framework and its seven categories: Social Structures, Governance, Ways of Knowing/Systems of Thought, Science and Technology, Movement and Memory, Cultural Meaning-Making, and "How Do It Free Us? It gives a more authentic view of Africa and truthfully could be applied elsewhere, though I dont anticipate many people enjoying what it feels like to look at themselves and their culture that closely.

(@amber-banks)
Trusted Member

You made some very great points and point out the importance of why we should learn and teach about Africa 😊 

ReplyQuote