Forum

Social Construction of Africa

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@carolina-hernandez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What does it mean for Africa to be socially constructed?

The notion or idea that Africans themselves are primitive and have no recollection of their history so they have relied on European Countries' interpretations of their history. It appears that Africans' contributions to their history are not considered important and are dismissed. Yet, it is the only continent that can be referred to as a whole group that isn't referred to quite often by separate countries but rather a group of people that says something about their unity. 

In which ways can knowledge about the social construction of Africa help us towards a just framing of Africa in the classroom?

It is important to draw some similarities and backgrounds for our younger students before they compare some differences. I teach first graders and I know they might be more fixated on the geography and landscape of the continent, but it's important for students to recognize that telling our own stories using our voice is transformative. 

In which ways can it be dangerous? 

It can be dangerous to believe that Africa solely exists socially when each country and terrain experiences its language and struggles. By assuming the whole continent is united, we gloss over the unique ethnic groups and what makes each one a part of the overall thread. 

(@jamie-lathan)
Member Admin

Well stated Carolina! I think highlighting similarities and differences between Africa and other continents in terms of peoples' perceptions can be very impactful for younger children. Thank you for sharing.

ReplyQuote