Forum

Disembodied Territories

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@mary-perez)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I read the article “Onks; Such Emotion” written by Bothan Ahmed Botan.In his piece, Botan describes his childhood growing up. More specifically, he describes in detail his experiences with dealing with being bullied by classmates and misunderstood by his teachers and other staff in elementary school. In my opinion, the colonial space that this entry points to is identity. Growing up, Botan did not quite understand certain aspects of his life such as; why peers would pressure him and why did he always have to go talk to a lady. He understood the routines but was not aware of why he was involved in such activities. He struggled with identity, thinking that he was a bad  person himself.  I believe the decolonizing space is that Bothan is now finding himself and understanding who he is. Since Bothan was diagnosed with Asperger, he now has to understand why he acts and the way he feels.  He needs  to come in touch with his identity and realize that he is not a bad guy nor deserves to be misunderstood and bullied by others.