Forum

Diy-Gid-Biy

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@william-fee)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I picked this one because I am absolutely fascinated by the area of the Congo, and this was closest. Diy-Gid-Biy was a stone site that seems to have been built in the 15th Century AD, linking it to the same time as the Songhai Empire to the northwest. This is relevant, as the finding of trade goods from outside the area lends itself to the explanation of the site as a trade site for the proto-Mafa peoples from the plains.

Other explanations, such as a fortified work, or ritual sites, have also been considered, though none have been proven to any degree. These uses are also not exclusive, and it was likely a multi-use site.

The finding of iron artifacts also links them to the Nok tradition of iron work farther to the east, and there also seems to have been a Mafa like culture, though not the ancestors of the Mafa, who used the site.

I do a great deal of work with construction and design programs, which have proven to be a great outschool tool for us. Tracing the process and evolution at this site, and comparing it with cultures to the northwest and the successor cultures on this site, would be a great tool for demonstrating both African technology and design principles.