Forum

Module 4B:

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@lou-inguito)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As a world history teacher, it is often included in the curriculum how ancient civilizations such as ancient Sumer developed technologies in creation of stronger materials. However, I have noticed that the history and contributions of technology from Africa are not widely available in history resources for middle school. Furthermore, according to the same resource they state that “The ability to create with iron is often understood as a divine gift, and those who affect its transformation are revered, and also feared, for their awesome capabilities.” I felt that this was very important because it shows how connected they are to the earth and how meaningful it was for them to use this material. Oftentimes when I teach, the curriculum only focuses on the fact that there are technological advances and does not cover the appreciation and connection communities have with the earth which was a large part of their values. I will use this understanding to further expand all of my classroom content by being more aware and intentional with classroom discussions when it comes to technology. I will make it a point to not just go by what is solely in my curriculum but also expand on what other sides to history there are. Furthermore, I will also add to my discussions the relationship communities had with the earth and the resources it provided to them.