Forum

Astrolabe as an Artifact

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@lou-inguito)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The astrolabe I chose was Vasco da Gama’s astrolabe which was found from a ship wreck site that was part of his second voyage to India. According to the article this mariner’s astrolabe is considered to be the oldest in the world. With the use of laser imaging, scientists found that this astrolabe may have been made between 1496 and 1501. What I thought was the most interesting thing I learned about this astrolabe was that according to the article “it is believed to be a transitional instrument between the classic planispheric astrolabe and the open-wheel type astrolabe”. This is an example of the technological advancements that were occurring at this time.

Because this artifact is considered a transitional object, I see that there may have been collaboration in order to enhance the classic planispheric astrolabe to create this one. Ideas and technology for Vasco da Gama’s astrolabe were possible because of the developments of the previous design. One reason the astrolabe is indicative of the spread of scientific knowledge is because it represents travel throughout the world. While Vasco da Gama and others were traveling, ideas and knowledge were also spreading as a result of the interactions they had.

One way I can make astrolabes relevant to my classroom is to explore the connection of astrolabes to the constellations. We study Ancient Greece and so mythology is a unit we learn about. In that unit, students will research and answer the following essential question: “How did ancient civilizations use astrolabes to navigate the night sky and interpret the mythological significance of constellations?”. They will then present their findings to their classmates.