Forum

Coins

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@robert-walls-thumma)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  
  1. One of the ways in which I incorporate material culture into my class is during my unit on the Triangle Trade. During these lessons, I usually bring in food items that were common commodities exchanged in the Triangle Trade such as pumpkins, coffee, potatoes, and corn, among others, and have the kids trace the country of origin. We also do a taste test of the items and discuss whether or not these items are still significant imports/exports for the countries that engaged in the Triangle Trade. 

1. The coins in this module expanded my understanding of the caliphates by showing the important linkage between religion and politics in the Islamic world. By inscribing religious inscriptions on the coined money of the time, the caliph was essentially asserting his right to rule under Allah, and in the process, was showing the citizenry how he had the legitimate right to rule. 

1. Religion and politics blend together in the coins through the use of Islamic phrases and even limited iconography. Money is an extension of the state and displays the political power of the ruling class. By combining politics and religion in the money of the time, the caliph these coins were essentially propaganda that was used to show the populace that the caliph had the right to rule due to the power granted to him under th tenants of the Islamic faith.