Forum

Politics and Religion Merge in Currency

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@osena-kuehnle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

In my language arts classroom, I use objects and visuals (typically paintings and sculptures) to have students make thematic connections with the short stories, novels, and poems we are reading.  I also use objects to help students brainstorm ideas for writing and to expand on their use of figurative language and imagery.  When studying art works, I include background information about the artists and the time period they lived so that students understand the themes and inspiration for the art better.

The coins expand knowledge of the caliphates and the trade system in the early Islamic world because they signify the importance of religion.  Because the images on the coins changed from showing images of the leaders to depicting lines from the Quran, we see how intertwined religion is with the politics at the time. 

The gold coins are representative of the country or region because it is their currency and how they are able to obtain goods.  The political system is represented because the coins are minted by the government, yet the religious writing on the coins proves the interconnectedness of politics and religion in this society.