Forum

Islam in the Middle Ages-Mark Herman

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mark-herman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I teach courses in Modern World Civilization 1300-1815, so I do not deal extensively with Medieval Islam, but I have a unit on Muhammad and the origins of Islam and its basic beliefs to introduce my treatment of the empires of the Ottoman Turks, Safavids of Iran, and the Mughals of India. I have not taught on the political, cultural, intellectual, or religious developments of the Islamic world 632-1258 AD (CE). The focus of the Nasser article is on periodization and the shift from the "Late Antiquity" model to the "First Millennium" and the Mongol Conquest of Baghdad in 1258 AD (CE) with an expansion of the geographical context. It is argued that during this period, Islam "synthesized" knowledge from other cultures, religions, and regions and "shaped our interconnected world." This is a new interpretive framework which replaces one which, in effect, had marginalized Islam which was "ignored and obscured during centuries of European triumphalism. . . ." I think it is premature to consider how to revise curriculum prior to completing this entire course's material, but I can begin rethinking periodization to focus on a longer view chronologically and expanding the geographic scope--from northern Africa and Spain to the west and to Central Asia in the east.

(@katharine-norris)

Well put--I agree. Thank you for posting!

ReplyQuote