Forum

The Rhind: Making Connections through Math

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@zoanne-difonzo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Saki Mafundikwa shares his journey of returning to Africa after a 20-year stay in the United States and founding the Zimbabwe Institute of Vigital Arts (ZIVA), the first graphic design and new media college in Zimbabwe. They emphasize the school's focus on creating a new visual language based on African creative heritage, offering a two-year diploma to talented high school graduates. The importance of typography in the curriculum and the encouragement for students to draw inspiration from African influences are highlighted. Mafundukwa also discusses the rich tradition of writing systems in Africa, from Nsibidi to Adinkra symbols, emphasizing the continent's significant contributions to written language. They call for African designers to look inward for inspiration and engage with their cultural heritage to create a more diverse and vibrant global design landscape. His work and advocacy underscore the importance of integrating African design heritage into contemporary practice.

The Text I have chosen to focus on is the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus, dating back to around 1650 BC in ancient Egypt, it is a key historical document discovered in Thebes by Alexander Henry Rhind in 1858. Written in hieratic script, a simplified form of hieroglyphics, it served practical and educational purposes, containing a variety of mathematical problems and solutions, including arithmetic, fractions, geometry, and algebra. This papyrus provides insights into the educational practices, daily life, and sophisticated mathematical understanding of ancient Egypt. Its significance extends beyond its original use, highlighting the intellectual achievements of ancient Egypt and showcasing Africa's contributions to the foundation of mathematical knowledge. The preservation and study of the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus underscore the deep historical and cultural importance of ancient Egyptian civilization and its impact on global heritage. This holds importance to me because my married family is Mayan and often times the mathematical and astrological contributions are under identified in popular culture in place of war and colonized portrayals of their people. Seeing the Rhind Papyrus helped me to make a connection of the importance of those contributions in both cultures.