Forum

Distributing African Stories

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@lou-inguito)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

To what extent is the work explicitly challenging or responding to a dominant narrative?  What is the dominant narrative? Provide some examples of how the source you studied speaks to or against it.

Muholi’s artwork reflects those who are part of the black lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender and intersex communities in South Africa. Muholi’s artwork explicitly challenges the dominant narrative by celebrating LGBTQ+ individuals from South Africa. The dominant narrative worldwide is one of white, male, cisgender viewpoints and stories. In Muholi’s Instagram, we see images which are portraits that reclaim blackness which challenges what we usually see in mainstream media of white/light/fair skinned females. Displaying images that reclaims their blackness challenges the narrative that lighter skinned is deemed more desirable.

Who seems to be the audience for these works? Explain your answer.

I infer that the intended audience for these works is anyone. I can see that one intended audience are those from the African LGBTQ+ community. I believe this because these pieces are a powerful opportunity to to have oneself represented in a society where African LGBTQ+ people are typically not represented in mainstream media. I can also see how those who are not part of this community can also be a target audience. I believe this because this is another opportunity for people to appreciate diversity at many different levels in media.

How do the stories told in these resources (and their very existence) extend on or complicate Komla Dumor’s points in Activity 1?

I think that the stories told in Muholi’s artwork extend on Komla Dumo’s points because it emphasizes the importance of the African story being told by those from within the community.

Why does it matter that these resources were created by Africans?

It is extremely important that these resources were created by Africans because there is an authenticity that cannot be replicated by someone speaking for them. Far too often is history written from the perspective of white, male, cisgender points of view. These resources provide a meaningful piece for not only the community’s story to be shared amongst each other for representation and healing but also for others to learn.

Brainstorm some ways that you might incorporate these resources (or others like them, that document the voices and lived experiences of marginalized populations) in your course(s).

One way that I could incorporate this resource is having students learn about the artist and have them compare and contrast their work with what types of art and media they typically see on a daily basis.