Forum

Distributing African Stories

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@mary-perez)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I listened to Afroqueer Podcasts. This podcast seems to aim towards LGBT community in Africa. Episode two specifically shares stories from members of the LGBT community who were attending the paralegal workshop in Ho. The stories told in this podcast extend Komla Dumor’s points because Africans are telling their stories about their own experiences. It is important to share the balance between the lives of the LGBT communities in Africa compared to the LGBT community abroad.  For example, the 21 members who attended this event were arrested for 21 days. Many of those members share their trauma of their experience on this podcast. It is crucial that these resources  were created by Africans because it shows the reality of their struggles that they face everyday.

Furthermore, in another podcast it was explained how the LGBT community is having a hard time producing and sharing LGBT films.  They share that these files are being praised in other parts of the world and being banned in Africa. Many directors are being creative and expressing the truth about the beautiful LGBT community love relationships in hopes that their community will accept them.  I can incorporate these resources into my course to share first hand experiences about the reality and struggles the LGBT community face daily.